Saturday, February 23, 2013

Surprise #2

It is literally the season of surprises! Although I planned for these things to happen, I try to keep a realistic, in-the-now perspective so I do not face disappointment. Surprise is a much better feeling than disappointment. This is why I will continually work as hard as I can, put in all of my effort, and then when I get a result I feel surprised and celebrate as if it happened on its own!
This morning I woke up to even more "results." My seedlings have been sprouting for a while, but this morning they really popped out. Following the Extension Service calendar, the Farmer's Almanac, and the calendar of the moon, I planned out each plant date for each seed. My original plant date for the first batch included broccoli and tomatoes, since they are longest to maturity and do not like the summer heat. This batch was a flop, and I think several factors were at play. First, I read that you shouldn't use super soil in pots, but I disregarded this when I made my seed starter pots. Second, I tried a method where I put them in a cookie sheet and put plastic over it, but did not have enough ventilation and some lovely mold colonies took over. I pulled them out of plastic and put them into
my salad containers (the ones you can buy pre-washed baby greens in) and moved them closer to the window. Note:  If the seedlings are uncovered, it is really best to put them in a container that you can fill with water from the bottom. This keeps the seedlings with pleasantly moist feet but prevents any disturbance from overhead watering. Out of 7 broccoli, 1 survives, out of 8 tomatoes, two are present but most likely not living.
So on my second plant date, I replanted my first batch along with my second batch. On February 16 I created new paper seed pots, this time filled with Organic Potting Soil, and sowed my 4 Roma tomatoes, 4 Cherry tomatoes, 7 broccoli, as well as 3 Alibi cucumber and 6 watermelon. I apparently never got cantaloupe seeds, so I will get those started on the next "moon-approved" day. The following day, I also direct-sowed my first round of spinach in the garden bed.
I know it sounds like a lot of work, but like I said, you have to put in all of your effort. If you throw some seeds in the yard and wait, you will most likely be disappointed. But if you create an effort and dive into the process of gardening as a part of your life, then you will be surprised by the outcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment