Monday, July 18, 2016

Decorate with your Favorite Jewelry

Those who know me, know that I am not much for accessories. I have a few favorite necklaces and some stylish earrings. Honestly, I've worn the same hoops for about two years without removing them. I never seem to like the way earrings look now that I have to wear my glasses. (Contact lenses were expensive and wasteful, and so uncomfortable. After using them for 13 years, I had to stop.) One reason I don't like to wear jewelry is I because I hate digging through boxes to find what I want. Even if I found what I wanted, it was probably tangled. There is no justifiable reason for me to buy a giant jewelry case, and it just causes more clutter. So I found this great idea on Pinterest.



This project is super simple and lots of fun. You need:
  • a wooden picture frame
  • lace fabric (I used an old table cloth or shower curtain)
  • thumb tacks
  • hot glue gun and glue sticks
  • staples (optional)
  • old buttons, coins, or pretty rocks
  • mallet or hammer

Step 1.
Remove the backing and the glass from the picture frame.

Step 2.
Use the frame to trace on the lace. Use the outside measurement to make sure you have enough. Cut.

Step 3.
Stretch the lace across the back of the frame. Start on one corner moving across the top. Using staples or hot glue, secure the lace to the frame. Pull the lace tight. Do the opposite side, making sure to keep the lace tight and straight. Then staple or glue the other two sides.

Step 4.
Use a mallet or hammer to gently tap thumb tacks around the front of the frame. I prefer assymetrical patterns, but this isn't required. Just remember to consider that items will be hanging down and you don't want tangling if the buttons all line up.

Step 5.
Use hot glue to add buttons, rocks, or coins to the tacks.

Step 6.
Trim any extra lace if it is showing. Then, hang it up! You might need to add some hanging teeth if your frame did not have any. Or you could just use decorative tacks to put under the top of the frame through the front of the lace.


No comments:

Post a Comment